Saturday, February 17, 2007

The Penguins Steal The Show

I think there is more than one correct definition for a documentary. However, in my opinion a documentary is a film, produced by an amateur or a professional, which tells someone’s story. It may consist of interviews with one person or many people. Documentaries are non-fictional works, depict real life situations or issues, shouldn’t be scripted, and attempt to educate the audience. They often feature a narrator who helps tell the story, and music can play an integral role in the films. I think my interpretation of documentaries is defined by those I have seen.

I was trying really hard to think about documentaries I’ve seen in the past… besides the typical Supersize Me, Fahrenheit 911, Bowling for Columbine, etc. Then I realized that March of the Penguins is a nature documentary! (And an amazing one at that). This documentary goes along with my definition because it has a narrator, Morgan Freeman. It tells “someone’s” story as well…It tells the story of the emperor penguins in Antarctica. While no one could interview the penguins, obviously, the documentary focuses on the struggles that they must go through each year to survive. It is also supported by some awesome instrumental music. I definitely recommend the documentary film and promise it isn’t cheesy. Go rent it if you haven’t seen it!

On another note, when we watched One Nation Under Guard in class, I was entranced by the music. It made the film more powerful and supported what the interviewees were saying. The music helped “set the scene” in my head. I don’t remember any music sticking out from the other documentary we watched in class, A Class Divided. This documentary was fueled by the interaction among the participants. No matter how you get your point across, with or without music, documentaries can be powerful vehicles for messages.

We’ve also discussed reality shows and their relationship with documentaries. There are countless reality shows on television, but I don’t really think they are documentaries. Some of the elements are there; however, there is no way to prove that the shows are not scripted...

1 comment:

B. Weaver said...

I think you've touch on something with the power of the non-verbal elements in a documentary. The music can enhance the message just as it does in a fictionalized story on TV or in the movies.

Now start comparing your definition with the other members of your team. You'll want to identify the common elements and craft a team definition. This will guide your efforts for your project.