Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Gooooooooooo Verizon!

A few weeks ago I mentioned that my cell phone was my favorite media source. Every day, I contact family and friends via Verizon Wireless, along with more than 100 million other Americans who connect to a Verizon network daily, according to Verizon’s website. I don’t know about you, but that sounds like a whole heck of a lot of people.

For how big Verizon is, I was really surprised to learn that Verizon Communications Inc. was only formed on June 30, 2000. The company was created thanks to synergy with one of the largest mergers in U.S. business history between Bell Atlantic Corp. and GTE Corp. Synergy states that a combined company can “offer more value, cost savings, or strength than the two companies could separately,” according to Ralph E. Hanson, author of Mass Communication: Living in a Media World. Check it out at http://www.amazon.com!


GTE and Bell Atlantic had both national and international customers, making the newly formed Verizon Communications Inc. a global company. More recently in 2005, Verizon acquired MCI, once again using synergy to its advantage.

Verizon prides itself on being “America’s most reliable wireless network.” I have to admit that from what I hear about other phone companies, it just might be. My boyfriend has T-Mobile…his signal is horrible and his calls drop all the time. Anyway, I’m certain that the company will continue to offer its Internet services and much more. It kind of scares me how powerful the company is. I don’t even want to know what new gadgets they are going to sell in the future.

No comments: